Wednesday, January 2, 2013

First travel for the year

So this is what it feels like to be on a cliffhouse on the day after the New Year. Yes, you read right-- A CLIFF HOUSE IN THE PHILIPPINES.

I spent the second day of 2013, or a mere four hours of it, on a cliff house located in the highlands of Tagaytay, which for all those who aren't from this part of the world is touted as the second summer capital of the Philippines (Baguio City, up north, bagged the crown for that title). It's a 60-km drive away from the capital and it was everything I had imagined it would be- surrounded by thick pine trees, the cool breeze blowing in your face (and hair), and with a breathtaking view of the famous Taal Lake which houses the smallest volcano (also named Taal) in the world.


                       

We dined at the nearby Yellow Cab for lunch and devoured Mochiko balls (4-oz ice cream scoops wrapped in rice flour dough) for dessert. Ironic I know! Who eats ice cream in cold weather, right? But that was because the hot sauce and chili peppers were kicked up a notch on the pizzas we had ordered; and to compensate for the pasta (which i really think is Chinese egg noodles) because it tasted like something I had cooked at home. It was therefore not worth the hefty price I paid for it. The restaurants were situated right next to each other and fortunately we went there at the right time. Only the ice cream shops and one cafe were in operation at the cliff house, so we were free to sit on any of the fancy restaurants' chairs. We chose Fire Lake Grill's set of wooden chairs so the pictures appear as if I was hanging out on a rich person's veranda.

I'd say the place is great for those who wish to go out of town and those wanting to escape the city on a weekend. For me, it's the most affordable Friday-Sunday getaway; though I personally think a day would be enough. Renting a town house (good for 10-15 people) in this part of the country is way too pricey. Back on the bright side, there are a lot of renowned-restaurants here that offer a variety of cuisines. So stacking your refrigerator in your car's trunk is not necessary, unless you're planning on a cookout which is good because barbecues fit perfectly to the cold temperature.

I only wish I could do this more often. This place in particular, enables me to encounter an environment that's foreign to what I'm used to. I just really suck at driving at high altitudes, let alone be caught in a hanging position when in inclined traffic. It's probably as good as a yoga class or taking a 3-day trip out of the country. Tagaytay never fails to refresh me.

No comments:

Post a Comment