Friday, January 4, 2013

WE NEED REFORMS TO OUR GUN LEGISLATIONS

The only close encounter I had with a gun was when I discovered my grandpa's handgun in his laundry back in the 90s. It was loaded and came as a huge shock to me because I would never have thought that my relatives kept even the simplest of weapons in their home.

Being brought up in a Christian family, carrying a gun (even for self defense) was never in my vocabulary and I had always relied on prayer and the mighty hand of Jesus to protect me wherever I went. 

This afternoon, Yahoo news posted that yet another shooting crime had occurred near my hometown. My cousins had been to that very place just two days ago for sightseeing. What frightened me was that the shooter aimed randomly killing three and injuring two others (http://ph.news.yahoo.com/gunman-kills-three-philippine-market-police-044747633.html). It horrifies me to hear stories of innocent lives suddenly put to an end by some psycho civilian. 

I do hope that the government creates reforms on the law about carrying weapons in my country. Only RESPONSIBLE and RIGHTFUL people should have access to such dangerous arms. This brings to mind a time in November of 2011 wherein a local bank's guard and a public transport driver raped and later shot a college student in the head, snagging her iPod, laptop and phone. Although the security guard was employed by an agency, it totally reduced my trust in local authorities. You'll never know when selfishness strikes and what it'll cost you. 

The fact that anyone can carry guns, if granted a license, angers me. It not only produces homicides, but also induces one to consider suicide as well as become more violent, among many others. Please check the Everyday Einstein's podcast on The Science of Violence on iTunes or just copy paste this link to read the statistics (and script) for yourself http://everydayeinstein.quickanddirtytips.com/the-science-of-violence.aspx.

No comments:

Post a Comment